A leader in the whitewater rafting and adventure travel industry since 1969, OARS has set the standard in first-class rating, hiking and multi-sport adventures with more than 75 unique itineraries around the world.
At our core, beyond “Guiding Life’s Greatest Adventures,” we’re a second generation family-owned business that strives to make a positive impact on people’s lives by providing outstanding river trips and other outdoor adventures. We encourage and actively support awareness, deeper appreciation, and preservation of our rivers and environment, and seek like-minded individuals who share that same passion to join our team.
|# of Direct Reports:
|Location (if applicable):
|Angels Camp Office/Hybrid
|$24 – $30 per hour, depending on experience
The OARS Staff Accountant helps maintain the financial records of the company, operating with high levels of integrity, organization, discretion, and efficiency.
The Staff Accountant reports to the Accounting Manager and is familiar with the details of the company’s chart of accounts. The position requires the accurate maintenance of day-to-day financial transactions for both accounts receivable and accounts payable, with an emphasis on accounts payable. This is a part-time position (24 hours per week) with one day worked in Angels Camp, and the rest remote work.
- Assist with month-end close through performance of the monthly balance sheet account reconciliations, including bank statements, credit card statements, AR/AP aging, fixed assets and loans reconciliation
- Maintain fixed assets ledgers, including recording of monthly GAAP depreciation and amortization
- Collection and organization of invoices from the six different companies within the OARS Family of Companies, including the seeking of review and approval of invoices from area operational managers, the entering of approved invoices for payment within our accounting software and the processing of payments to our vendors
- Collection of employee credit card receipts
- Recording daily revenue and payment activity from the reservation system into Sage
- Maintenance and monitoring of local operations’ bank accounts, posting manual payments and balancing to statements
- Complete Sales and Use tax returns for multiple states
- Assistance with internal and external reports and audits for river permits compliance
- Back up on bi-weekly payroll functions for 450 employees across five companies in multiple states
- Maintenance (set-up) of vendor W-9s, as well as 1099 vendors
- Extensive use of Excel spreadsheets to prepare annual expense/revenue reports
- Maintaining an organized and accurate filing system throughout the accounting office
Skills & Qualifications
- Two to three years of experience in accounting
- Excellent organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Develop and sustain a level of professional communication among staff and managers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience with Sage Intacct preferred
- Understanding of GAAP
- Advanced computer software skills including Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Strong organizational, project management, and problem-solving skills
- Friendly and professional demeanor
- Time management skills; proficient at multitasking and working under tight timelines
- A team player and “part of the solution”
- Long hours sitting or standing and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain.
- Some lifting of supplies and materials on an as-needed basis.
- Remote work is assigned during regular business hours and employees are expected to be available and at their desk during those hours.
- Scheduled and unscheduled meetings with coworkers and managers are customary.
- Stressful working conditions due the seasonality of outfitting, when everything appears to be happening at the same time company-wide
- Merit increases and bonuses, dependent on individual and company performance, considered on an annual basis
- Eligible for health insurance benefits after 60 days
- Reimbursement for approved wellness expenses
- Paid sick leave
- Company-matching ($.50 for every $1.00 contributed up to 6% of gross pay) 401k plan after six months of employment
- 1-day paid familiarization (FAM) trip annually, dependent on company performance and subject to management approval
- Friends + Family discounts on OARS trips
How to Apply
Interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in this position to: [email protected] with a subject line of “Staff Accountant” No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled.