Owyhee River Rafting
- Owyhee River rafting & camping in Oregon
- Raft, dory and inflatable kayak options available
- See eagles, antelope, bighorn sheep & mountain lions
- Colorful basalt canyon walls & gemstone-covered beaches
- A great early spring trip
|River Rating||Minimum Age|
|Class III||7 Yrs (12 during high water)|
Owyhee River Rafting in Oregon - Overview
O.A.R.S. 6 day Owyhee River Rafting trip in Oregon combines sheer, plunging cliffs of dark amber, gold, ruby red and pearl of the Owyhee River canyon with fun Class III rapids and excellent wildlife viewing.
In 1826, the Owyhee River was named after the place from which some of southeastern Oregon’s first settlers originated — Hawaii, a fitting name, considering the Owyhee’s status as a unique American paradise. The Owyhee River in southwestern Oregon is a rarely visited but mesmerizing river in its bizarre beauty, an unplucked jewel in itself. Gleaming black basalt bluffs cascade down to desolate, soft beaches speckled with the lure of undiscovered gemstones. This O.A.R.S. Owyhee River Rafting adventure is an ideal early-season rafting escape as the Owyhee's eco-system is semi-desert and the Oregon weather here is balmy even in the springtime. Our journey down the "Wild and Scenic" Owyhee includes raft, dory and inflatable kayaking options. And there’s wildlife everywhere. Eagles, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep and mountain lions are native to the region.
Owyhee River Rafting - Itinerary at a Glance
- Our Owyhee River Rafting adventure begins with a shuttle ride from Boise, Idaho to southeast Oregon where camp is set up along the river
- The river portion of our adventure kicks off with some mild to intense whitewater, including Artillery Rapid
- Enter the moonscape terrain of the Badlands, with its intriguing clay and sandstone spire formations
- Whistling Bird rapid is the whitewater highlight of the day. With a difficult hairpin turn against a dramatic cliff face, it’s a certain scout and great photo opportunity as the rafts enter a narrow section of river bound by precipitous cliffs
- Lambert Rocks and Jackson Creek entice travelers to extended walks up into colorful side canyons and along scenic ridge lines
- Small hot springs near the river add another interesting geological dimension
- Watch for a variety of local wildlife in the Owyhee Canyon including feathered and furred - from eagles and egrets, mink and bobcats, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, and even wild horses
- On our final day on the Owyhee River, we encounter the historic remnants of the long abandoned Hole in the Ground Ranch
- Our Owyhee Rafting adventure concludes at the Owyhee Reservoir with return transportation back to Boise
|Destination River||Meeting Parking||Rapid||Point of Interest||Camp||Put-in||Take-out|
- Trip Reviews
- Write a Review
“Among the many river trips I have taken, the Owyhee is near the top for the impressiveness of scenery. While the rapids are not big, they are delightful at the water level we had. Isolation of this trip is also a big plus.”
Karl Kumm ~ Seattle, WA
“I can't thank each and every one involved enough...they made the best of every moment. WELL DONE!!! Thanks!”
Jim Devers ~ Egg Harbor Township, NJ
“I think the OARS folks were great! They were nice and interesting people, thoughtful, and excellent companions. Of course, the scenery was okay too...”
Eric Ingbar ~ Carson City, NV
“I am sitting at my desk lamenting the fact that I am no longer on the water.
I wanted to write and let you know how much I enjoyed our trip down the Owyhee (May 6-12, 2009). What an amazing stretch of river. The fact that the O.A.R.S. approach is about respecting our natural world makes you a true leader and I would like to thank you for your commitment. I would also like to commend each and every one of our guides, they were exemplary.
Barry (Dow) was so knowledgeable and dedicated. His awareness of the issues on the river was very informative. Deb (Hausler) was such a treat. Her energy and zest added so much to the trip and you could always count on her for fun and frivolity. Heather (Solee) was an excellent boat captain and I was always comfortable with her at the helm. Jennie (Tindall) was truly a delight and always thoughtful about the guests needs. She went above and beyond in making sure we were all comfortable. Ashley (Brown) was also an excellent guide. She was always upbeat and full of life on the trip. She helped take very good care of us all.
I will definitely recommend an O.A.R.S. trip to anyone who wants to do a river trip. I am hoping to do the Grand Canyon with O.A.R.S. in the future. Thank you for putting together such an awesome team of people to provide once-in-a-lifetime experiences on the river. You have a great deal to be proud of!”
Laura J. Doty, Outreach Coordinator Advocates for the West ~ Boise, ID
Owyhee River Rafting - 6 Days Trip Planner
Please print, sign and return the required forms (for each person in your party) to our office by email, fax or mail at least 60 days prior to your trip.
Trip Planners (includes packing list)
Local Weather & Current Conditions
|Seasonal Average: 50°|