O.A.R.S. Press Release
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Partnership with Klean Kanteen
- 2014 Pacific Coast Rafting Outlook Remains Positive Despite Drought
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Pre-Season Rafting Forecast
- O.A.R.S. Guides Lead Historic Rafting Descent on the Colorado River “Pulse Flow”
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Family Adventures Catalog Featuring 21 Easy to Epic Vacation Ideas
- The Year of the Dory: O.A.R.S. Pays Tribute to Legendary Grand Canyon Boatman/Environmental Crusader Martin Litton for its 45th Anniversary
- O.A.R.S. Introduces New-for-2014 Lodge-Based Grand Canyon Hiking Adventure
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Departures Exploring the Sacred Rivers of Bhutan
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches World Rivers Series of New Trips Marrying Iconic Rivers with Cultural Destinations
- U.S. Marine Captain with Four Deployments to Afghanistan under His Belt Chosen as Winner of O.A.R.S. “Livin’ the Dream” Contest
- O.A.R.S. Announces Enhanced Commission Structure Including Travel Agent Commissions on Coveted Grand Canyon Rafting Adventures
- Condé Nast Traveler Selects O.A.R.S.’ Mindy Gleason Among its Top Travel Specialists for 7th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Launches “Livin’ the Dream” Contest To Become Honorary River Guide On No-Cost Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
- O.A.R.S. Family Rafting Adventures Give Kids a Break from Devices
- O.A.R.S. Experiencing Increased Demand For Rafting Adventures in Northern California This Summer On Reservoir-Controlled Rivers
- Two Oregon Purveyors of Fine Living, A Chocolatier and a Brew Master, Spice Up Father’s Day on the Rogue River with O.A.R.S.
- Veteran Outfitter O.A.R.S. by Longstanding Agreements With Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks Offers Guests Unique Access and Experiences
- A Strong Constitution for Fun Recommended for O.A.R.S.’ July 4th – 6th Tuolumne River Trip with 21st Amendment Brewery
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2013 Family Adventure Catalog With Vacations From Peru to Alaska
- O.A.R.S. Selected by Outside Magazine As Runner Up for “Best Outfitter of the Year”
- O.A.R.S. Outlines 2013 Menu of Whitewater Vacations On Idaho’s Iconic Salmon and Snake Rivers
- O.A.R.S. Offers 11 Unique Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Adventures in 2013
- O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
- O.A.R.S. Hosts Series of Epicurean Adventures on Idaho’s Salmon River with Whole Journeys
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top Travel Specialist for River Rafting by Condé Nast Traveler for the 6th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Founder, George Wendt, Honored at 2012 California River Awards
- O.A.R.S. Partners With Leading Social Media Agency To Launch Web Magazine
- Dinosaur National Monument, an Undiscovered Gem, Shines this Summer
- O.A.R.S. and American Rivers Shine the Light on the Endangered Green River
- O.A.R.S. Releases Industry-leading Whitewater Orientation Video
- O.A.R.S.’ Bosnia Three Rivers Tour Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2012
- The Grand Canyon by Dory Named to Hall of Fame in Outside's Inaugural Travel Awards
- O.A.R.S. Seeks to Inspire the Next Generation of Adventurers with New Family Catalog
- O.A.R.S. Launches Three New Adventures for 2012
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top River Rafting Expert by Condé Nast Traveler for the 5th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Reinvents the Travel Catalog for 2012
- Record Water Levels on Tap for 2011 Cataract Canyon Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S.’ Grand Canyon River Trip Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2011
- California Snowpack Has River Outfitters Looking Forward to 2011 Rafting Season
- Prime Minister of Fiji Recognizes Rivers Fiji with “Exporter of the Year” Award for Tourism Services
- Award-winning Outfitter Unveils 2011 Bucket List of Adventures
- O.A.R.S. Announces New Wilderness Gourmet Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones on the Rogue River
- Adventures in Wine and Whitewater
- Above Average Sierra Snowpack Translates to Exciting, Extended California Whitewater Rafting Season
- Grand Teton National Park selects O.A.R.S. as long-term concessionaire & the only rafting & sea kayaking outfitter to operate overnight trips in the park
- Rivers Fiji recognized with Responsible Tourism Award by Virgin Holidays
- Fifty “Eco-Friendly” Ways to Experience the Unforgettable Nature of an O.A.R.S. Adventure
- Adventure Travelers in Pursuit of the Seven Whitewater Wonders of the World
- Raft More, Spend Less: All-Inclusive Adventures Make Good Financial Sense in Today's Economy
- Unique Vacation Options, On and Off the Beaten Path, In America’s Most Iconic National Parks
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. To Begin Accepting Reservations for 2010 Grand Canyon Rafting Trips
- O.A.R.S. Offers Seven New Trips in 2009 Adding to an Extensive Collection of Adventurous Itineraries throughout the U.S. West, Canada, Latin America and Fiji
- O.A.R.S.’ Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Trips Offer Elegant Adventure Vacation Alternatives
- O.A.R.S. Commemorates 40th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by Partnering with American Rivers and by Offering a Benefit Whitewater Rafting Trip in Idaho
- O.A.R.S. - Mother Nature Cooperates with Whitewater Rafting Company: Snow Levels Make for an Outstanding 2008 Whitewater Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S. – the eco-savvy adventure travel outfitter further reduces carbon footprint with a new commitment to solar power
- O.A.R.S. announces a one-of-a kind series of rafting and product-testing expeditions with performance footwear innovator Teva
- Seven New Hiking-Specific Itineraries Added to O.A.R.S. Diverse Trip Options
- O.A.R.S. and Teva Team Up to Support a 3D Experience for IMAX Theaters – Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. Adventure Vacations - Something for everyone: the thrill-seeker, the naturalist, the not-exactly-athletic, the first-time camper and the seasoned boater
The Year of the Dory: O.A.R.S. Pays Tribute to Legendary Grand Canyon Boatman/Environmental Crusader Martin Litton for its 45th AnniversaryANGELS CAMP, CA, Feb. 4, 2014 – Celebrating 45 years since their first trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon back in 1969, O.A.R.S. has coined 2014 “the year of the dory” and will pay tribute to Martin Litton, legendary environmental crusader and founder of Grand Canyon Dories.
Litton, who will do some celebrating of his own this month when he turns 97, is largely credited for his success defending the Grand Canyon from two proposed dams in the 1960’s and for fostering a proud tradition of dory boat trips on the great rivers of the American West, which O.A.R.S. proudly maintains today.
Litton first floated the Colorado River in 1955. Humbled by its beauty and grandeur, he fought to save the river from being dammed. And while he would say his role was minor, Martin Litton’s place in conservation history is permanently secured.
Later, when the Grand Canyon rafting industry was taking off, Litton decided to open his own commercial guiding company. He launched Grand Canyon Dories in the summer of 1969. However, instead of running rubberized rafts and motor rigs like other companies in the Grand Canyon, Litton chose to run dories—small, wooden and fiberglass boats—as a nod to early river expeditions of the late 1800’s. Roughly 17 feet from bow to stern, these hard-hulled, ultra-buoyant boats have six hatches for stowing gear and ample space for four passengers with a central cockpit for a guide manning two powerful oars.
When people laid eyes on a dory, they couldn't help but notice the beauty of these finely crafted river vessels which were hand-painted in assorted color schemes to match the natural hues of river canyons throughout the West. As the devoted environmentalist and dory pioneer grew his fleet of boats to accommodate the growing interest in Grand Canyon dory trips, he also started a ritual.
According to Kevin Fedarko’s hit book, The Emerald Mile, Litton “inaugurated a tradition of naming every craft after a natural wonder that, in his view, had heedlessly been destroyed by the hand of man—‘to remind us of places we’ve destroyed without any necessity,’ he would bark to anyone who inquired, ‘so that maybe we’ll think twice before we do it again.’”
Litton, a longtime advocate for preserving our most sacred and wondrous natural places, wanted to make a statement. Still today, as O.A.R.S. carries on Litton’s legacy of Grand Canyon Dories, and inspires a new generation of dory guides and travelers by running these unique vessels on rivers throughout the West—Idaho’s Snake and Salmon Rivers, Utah’s San Juan, Green and Yampa Rivers and on the Colorado River through Cataract Canyon, among others—each hand-crafted boat is bestowed with a unique identity to remind us all of the special places we've lost.
It’s in the spirit of continuing to raise awareness about the danger of losing some of Mother Nature’s best gifts, and in honor of Martin Litton’s 97th birthday, that O.A.R.S. has launched a social media campaign to Save the Sequoias.
Save the SequoiasIn 2001 Litton devoted himself to a new cause and helped found Sequoia ForestKeeper, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to protecting and restoring the ecosystems of the southern Sierra Nevada—including both Sequoia National Forest and the Giant Sequoia National Monument—through monitoring, enforcement, education, and litigation.
To help ignite support for Sequoia ForestKeeper, O.A.R.S. has committed to donate $1 to the organization (up to $5,000) for every new fan the outfitter receives on Facebook from February 3-12, 2014: http://oarsrafting.pgtb.me/9JVl0