Seasonal Adventure Consultant
A leader in the whitewater rafting and adventure travel industry since 1969, OARS has set the standard in first-class rating, hiking and multi-sport adventures with more than 75 unique itineraries around the world.
At our core, beyond “Guiding Life’s Greatest Adventures,” we’re a second generation family-owned business that strives to make a positive impact on people’s lives by providing outstanding river trips and other outdoor adventures. We encourage and actively support awareness, deeper appreciation, and preservation of our rivers and environment, and seek like-minded individuals who share that same passion to join our team.
|Adventure Consultant (Seasonal)
|Sales & Marketing
|Vice President, Sales & Marketing
|# of Direct Reports:
|Location (if applicable):
|Angels Camp Office or Remote
|Non-exempt, full-time seasonal (March through Labor Day)
|Thursday through Monday
|$18 – $22.50 per hour, depending on experience
Adventure Consultants are responsible for consultatively selling OARS trips and providing the highest quality service to ensure that every guest has the best experience possible. This is a seasonal position responsible for performing all adventure consultant duties related to supporting general sales & client services efforts.
The Seasonal Adventure Consultant is familiar with the details of all of our adventures, and can provide support for any guest questions that may arise. This position is full-time during our busy season and requires 40 hours of work Thursday through Monday from April through Labor Day. Training will occur Monday through Friday during the month of March.
As an OARS Adventure Consultant, you have a passion for trip planning and outdoor adventure and the stamina to answer the same question 1000 times a year with a smile. You truly love working with other people and your colleagues enjoy working with you. Only your attention to detail and organizational skills rival your personable demeanor and enthusiasm for travel. Adventure Consultants are responsible for consultatively selling OARS trips and providing the highest quality service to ensure that every guest is matched to the best and most appropriate outdoor experience possible. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Sales & Marketing and is primarily tasked with taking calls, promptly responding to trip inquiries, following up with prospective travelers, collecting/entering the appropriate information, and placing reservations.
- Performance Profile
- Ability to ask the right questions and match guests to the best trip for their needs
- Exceptional listening skills, friendly and personable in phone conversations
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly in email format
- Highly organized, both personal and in the shared reservations system
- Effective time management, ability to multitask at times
- A team player and “part of the solution”
- Proficient with policies and procedures within 30 days of hire date.
- Actively take bookings as assigned after the first two weeks, increasing areas of expertise as time goes on.
- Intuitive and thorough with administrative work performed in the reservation system and other support programs, including client entry, information requests, correspondence (via phone, email & live chat), reservations, and follow ups.
- Working knowledge of reservations system and extensive trip information for 75+ domestic and international itineraries.
Skills & Qualifications
- Positive attitude with a passion for working with a diverse team
- Empathetic and resourceful problem solver with the ability to build genuine, authentic connections with guests and co-workers
- Detail oriented with the ability to see the big picture
- Proficient basic math skills, with a focus on detail and accuracy
- Proficient with Microsoft Office & Google Workspace
- Love of the outdoors
- Weekend shifts required.
- Long hours sitting or standing and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain.
- Some lifting of supplies and materials on an as-needed basis.
- Remote work is assigned during regular business hours and employees are expected to be available and at their desk during those hours.
- Scheduled and unscheduled meetings with coworkers and managers are customary.
- Stressful working conditions due to call volume and customer demands are common.
- General Responsibilities
- Continuously develop in-depth knowledge of OARS trips, policies & procedures and our reservations/CRM system in order to provide quality recommendations for the best possible experience for our guests.
- Log in to the phone queue system daily according to standards set by management.
- Respond to all incoming inquiries and return all messages from prospective and current guests, travel agents and co-workers in a courteous, professional and timely manner.
- Qualify and book guests. Accurately collect all pertinent information about every new and past guest signing up for a trip and screen guests to ensure they are suited for the trip in question.
- Create client records and enter information including name, address, phone number, email address, how they heard about us, interests, notes, etc.
- Enter relevant notes from calls or e-mail correspondence in bookings or client records, include a copy of pertinent correspondence in the client record, set follow ups and enter catalog requests as required.
- Respond to email inquiries promptly throughout the day.
- Place reservations and process payments.
- Distribute reservation-related confirmation information and invoicing for last-minute bookings, including prompt and complete payments for reservations prior to departure.
- Provide Operations with additional information regarding trips as necessary in addition to remote reports, especially in the area of special client needs and custom arrangements, maintaining an open dialog on pending issues.
- Process cancellations and transfers as necessary.
- Other projects and duties as necessary or assigned.
- Phones, Live Chat and Emails
- Be present at your desk and available to answer the phones & respond to email inquiries during scheduled work hours.
- Be in ready status at all times while on the clock, except for work breaks and meals.
- Answer calls in a timely, friendly manner.
- Ask for and use the caller’s name.
- Respond to questions and concerns in a timely manner (ideally within minutes, but always within 24 hours or the next business day). Schedule colleagues for follow-ups as appropriate.
- Accurately enter contact info, etc. for all inquiries.
- Document correspondence and direct prospective guests to the best trip for their needs.
- Assess prospective guests’ abilities, primarily physical ability, and direct them to the most appropriate tour given that information. This is not always the trip they initially request.
- Check voicemail, email messages, and assigned inquiries and respond in a timely manner.
- Say thank you often and invite clients back after each trip.
- Merit increases and bonuses, dependent on individual and company performance, considered on an annual basis
- 48 hours of paid sick leave
- Company-matching ($.50 for every $1.00 contributed up to 6% of gross pay) 401k plan after six months
- 1 paid familiarization (FAM) trip annually, dependent on company performance and subject to management approval
- Friends + Family discounts on OARS trips
- Staff gear package
How to Apply
Interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in this position to: [email protected] with a subject line of “Seasonal Adventure Consultant” No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled.