OARS, one of the most respected outfitters in adventure travel, is seeking a full-time, Sales Manager for our head office in Angels Camp, CA.
A leader in the whitewater rafting and adventure travel industry since 1969, OARS has set the standard in first-class rafting, hiking and multi-sport adventures with more than 75 unique itineraries around the world.
At our core, beyond “Guiding Life’s Greatest Adventures,” we’re a second generation family-owned outfitter that strives to make a positive impact on people’s lives by providing outstanding river trips and other outdoor adventures. We encourage and actively support awareness, deeper appreciation, and preservation of our rivers and environment, and seek like-minded individuals who share that same passion, to join our extended family.
The Sales Manager at OARS has a passion for trip planning and outdoor adventure and the stamina to answer the same question 1000 times a year with a smile. You truly love working with other people and your colleagues and direct reports enjoy working with you. You have 5+ years of travel/hospitality sales experience, and a proven leadership ability to influence, develop, and empower employees to achieve objectives with a team approach by maintaining a positive and productive work environment. You’re a systems-oriented person with solid attention to detail, organizational skills, and a knack for solving problems. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Sales & Marketing and plays an active role in taking calls, responding to trip inquiries, and pursuing sales, while leading our sales team, hiring and training new staff as needed, developing and monitoring sales goals and tactics, nurturing travel agent relationships, and generally looking out for the best interests of our staff and our guests.
- General Sales
- Continuously develop in-depth knowledge of OARS trips, policies & procedures and our reservations/CRM system in order to provide quality recommendations for the best possible experience for our guests.
- Be an expert with respect to the competition.
- Log in to the phone queue daily. Respond to assigned inquiries and return all messages from prospective and current guests, travel agents and co-workers in a courteous, professional and timely manner.
- Qualify and book guests. Accurately collect all pertinent information about every new and past guest signing up for a trip.
- Enter catalog requests as required.
- Follow up on all qualified inquiries (from phone calls, info requests, emails, live-chats, etc.) to ensure they choose OARS for their next adventure travel experience.
- Enter notes from calls or e-mail correspondence in bookings or client records.
- Actively pursue new and repeat business (e.g. corporate groups, school groups, etc.) and identify opportunities for growth.
- Participate in departmental and company teams to improve internal processes and build a high-performing sales and customer service organization.
- Stay informed of marketing initiatives, special offers, etc.
- Attend office meetings.
- Other projects and duties as necessary or assigned.
- Weekend work and some travel may be required.
- Supervise sales team & weekend/seasonal phone staff
- Coordinate with the Vice President, Sales & Marketing to develop and lead the sales team.
- Recruit, interview, and hire sales staff, in collaboration with the management team.
- Coordinate and implement training for new staff; create and/or coordinate training opportunities for current staff, including regular updates on policy and procedural changes.
- Schedule sales staff in coordination with client services staff to ensure adequate phone/live chat coverage; approve, coordinate and schedule requests for time off, make-up time and FAM trips; monitor compliance to schedules.
- Schedule and conduct annual (at minimum) sales staff reviews in collaboration with the management team.
- Review bookings and phone/live chat activity daily and improve sales staff performance by coaching/building people up and disciplining employees as required.
- Maintain sales activities
- Working with the Vice President, Sales & Marketing, monitor sales, identify opportunities, and establish goals & incentives as warranted.
- Help to create, standardize, institute and monitor all sales-related procedures and policies and explore/implement new technology as necessary.
- Develop/refine sales script & best practices for new and existing sales and client services staff.
- Participate as requested in management discussions to develop and define company policies.
- Interface between sales staff and management regarding human resource concerns and issues.
- Provide coverage for sales staff members during FAM trips, vacation time or other extended absences.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Positive attitude with a passion for working with and leading a diverse team
- Empathetic and resourceful problem solver with the ability to build genuine, authentic connections with guests and co-workers
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to see the big picture
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience
- 3+ years proven experience as a successful manager
- 5+ years of sales and customer service experience in travel and/or hospitality
- Experience working with CRM systems
- Proficient with Microsoft Office & Google Workspace
- Love of the outdoors
- Physical Demands
- Long hours sitting or standing and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain.
- Some lifting of supplies and materials on an as-needed basis.
- Environmental Conditions
- The OARS building is a busy, shared-office, call-center operation where interruptions are frequent.
- Scheduled and unscheduled meetings with coworkers and managers are customary.
- Stressful working conditions due to call volume and customer demands are common.
- Annual Salary
- Based on experience
- Merit increases and bonuses, dependent on individual and company performance, considered on an annual basis
- Supervisor exempt status for hours over 40 in a week, worked according to business needs
- Standard benefits available to full-time employees
- Company-funded health insurance plan after 60 days
- Company-matching ($.50 for every $1.00 contributed up to 6% of gross pay) 401k plan after 1 year
- 17 days Paid Time Off (PTO) accrued annually in years 0 – 2
- 25 days PTO accrued annually in years 3 – 9
- 30 days PTO accrued annually 10+ years
- 1 paid familiarization (FAM) trip annually
- Friends + Family discounts on OARS trips
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may email a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in this position by May 17th to: email@example.com with a subject line of “Sales Manager .” No phone calls please.