California Client Services Assistant
A leader in the whitewater rafting and adventure travel industry since 1969, OARS has set the standard in first-class rating, hiking and multi-sport adventures with more than 75 unique itineraries around the world.
At our core, beyond “Guiding Life’s Greatest Adventures,” we’re a second generation family-owned business that strives to make a positive impact on people’s lives by providing outstanding river trips and other outdoor adventures. We encourage and actively support awareness, deeper appreciation, and preservation of our rivers and environment, and seek like-minded individuals who share that same passion to join our team.
|California Client Services Assistant (Seasonal)
|California Reservations Manager
|# of Direct Reports:
|Location (if applicable):
|Angels Camp Office or Remote
|Non-exempt, full-time seasonal (March through Labor Day)
|Tuesday through Saturday
|$18 – $22.50 per hour, depending on experience
California Client Services Assistant
The California Client Services Assistant works in collaboration with the California Reservations Manager to process all reservations. The Assistant is responsible for performing all adventure consultant duties and area-specific client services to ensure high levels of customer service, organization and efficiency. This individual provides complete reservation details to field staff and responds as soon as possible to requests from the field for additional information. The position requires familiarity with trips offered in other areas in order to effectively answer general questions about any OARS trip.
This position is full-time during our busy season and requires 40 hours of work Tuesday through Saturday from April through Labor Day. Training will occur Monday through Friday during the month of March.
- Performance Profile
- Ability to ask the right questions and match guests to the best trip for their needs
- Exceptional listening skills, friendly and personable in phone conversations
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly in email format
- Highly organized, both personal and in the shared reservations system
- Effective time management, ability to multitask at times
- A team player and “part of the solution”
- Proficient with policies and procedures within 30 days of hire date.
- Actively take bookings as assigned after the first two weeks, increasing areas of expertise as time goes on.
- Intuitive and thorough with administrative work performed in the reservation system and other support programs, including client entry, correspondence (via phone, email & live chat), reservations, and follow ups.
- Working knowledge of reservations system and extensive trip information for 75+ domestic and international itineraries.
Skills & Qualifications
- Positive attitude with a passion for working with a diverse team
- Empathetic and resourceful problem solver with the ability to build genuine, authentic connections with guests and co-workers
- Detail oriented with the ability to see the big picture
- Proficient basic math skills, with a focus on detail and accuracy
- Proficient with Microsoft Office & Google Workspace
- Love of the outdoors
- Weekend shifts required
- Long hours sitting or standing and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain
- Some lifting of supplies and materials on an as-needed basis
- Remote work is assigned during regular business hours and employees are expected to be available and at their desk during those hours
- Scheduled and unscheduled meetings with coworkers and managers are customary
- Stressful working conditions due to call volume and customer demands are common
- Responsible for distribution of reservation-related confirmation emails during times when the CA Reservations Manager is out of the office and as assigned to balance work flow.
- Review trip pages on oars.com on a regular basis to ensure familiarity.
- In collaboration with the CA Reservations Manager, responsible for collection of all client forms and complete & accurate entry/review of that information in the reservations system(s)..
- Follow up on ‘tentative bookings’ to ensure deposits are received.
- Follow up on late payments in coordination with the CA Reservations Manager.
- In collaboration with CA Reservations Manager, responsible for providing Field Staff with complete and accurate information regarding upcoming trips.
- Review news from the field as it comes in and in coordination with the CA Reservations Manager alert guests when appropriate.
- Advise guests regarding itinerary changes that occur after time of booking.
- Release launches in a timely manner when the CA Reservations Manager is out of the office.
- Function as the office point-person for all details related to camping reservations at the American River Outpost.
- Responsible for review and verification of discounts being correct on bookings.
- In collaboration with the CA Reservations Manager and Risk Management Officer, follow up with “flagged” passengers for further screening.
- Send pre-departure emails.
- Coordinate with guests to inform of unconfirmed departures.
- Cross reference Trip Leader Reports with reservations to ensure accurate reporting of trip numbers.
- Possesses ability to identify potential issues and quickly work with the team to manage and respond to such situations in a timely and professional manner.
- Continuously develop in-depth knowledge of OARS trips, policies and procedures and reservation systems. Participate in researching the active travel industry and our competition; sales expertise; customer service techniques; knowledge of basic computer applications; written and verbal communication; personal organization.
- Log-in to the phone queue daily according to standards set by management. Respond to all incoming calls and return all messages from prospective and current guests, travel agents and co-workers in a courteous, professional and timely manner.
- Enter concise notes from calls or e-mail correspondence in bookings or client records.
- Respond to email inquiries throughout the day. Copy designated sales agent for follow-up.
- Obtain all relevant information from prospective clients. Create a client record and enter information including name, address, phone #, email address, HTH, interest, profile (if applicable), notes. Include a copy of email correspondence in the client record.
- Set-up literature requests as required.
- Make reservations, charge deposits/rentals/additional purchases and process final payments when applicable.
- Qualify and book guests for the most appropriate trips. Accurately collect all pertinent information about every new and past guest signing up for a trip.
- Recommend and develop responses to guest concerns in a prompt and courteous manner in accordance with OARS policies and procedures; in conjunction with Management and Operations.
- Participate in communicating with departmental and company teams to improve internal processes and build a high performing sales and customer service organization.
- Attend weekly office meetings.
- Other projects and duties as necessary or assigned.
- Merit increases and bonuses, dependent on individual and company performance, considered on an annual basis
- 48 hours of paid sick leave
- Company-matching ($.50 for every $1.00 contributed up to 6% of gross pay) 401k plan after six months
- 1 paid familiarization (FAM) trip annually, dependent on company performance and subject to management approval
- Friends + Family discounts on OARS trips
- Staff gear package
How to Apply
Interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in this position to: [email protected] with a subject line of “California Client Services Assistant” No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled.