ADVENTURE CONSULTANT (SALES)
OARS, one of the most respected outfitters in adventure travel, is seeking a full-time year round Adventure Consultant.
A leader in the whitewater rafting and adventure travel industry since 1969, OARS has set the standard in first-class rafting, hiking and multi-sport adventures with more than 75 unique itineraries around the world.
At our core, beyond “Guiding Life’s Greatest Adventures,” we’re a second generation family-owned outfitter that strives to make a positive impact on people’s lives by providing outstanding river trips and other outdoor adventures. We encourage and actively support awareness, deeper appreciation, and preservation of our rivers and environment, and seek like-minded individuals who share that same passion, to join our extended family.
POSITION SUMMARY – Adventure Consultant (Sales)
As an OARS Adventure Consultant, you have a passion for trip planning and outdoor adventure and the stamina to answer the same question 1000 times a year with a smile. You truly love working with other people and your colleagues enjoy working with you. Only your attention to detail and organizational skills rival your personable demeanor and enthusiasm for travel. Adventure Consultants are responsible for consultatively selling OARS trips and providing the highest quality service to ensure that every guest is matched to the best and most appropriate outdoor experience possible. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Sales & Marketing and is primarily tasked with taking calls, promptly responding to trip inquiries, following up with prospective travelers, collecting/entering the appropriate information, and placing reservations.
- Ability to ask the right questions and match guests to the best trip for their needs
- Exceptional listening skills, friendly and personable in phone conversations
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly in email format
- Highly organized, both personal and in the shared Tour Tools space
- Effective time management, ability to multi-task at times
- A team player and “part of the solution”
- Proficient with policies and procedures within 30 days of hire date.
- Actively take bookings as assigned after the first two weeks, increasing areas of expertise as time goes on.
- Intuitive and thorough with administrative work performed in the reservation system and other support programs, including client entry, information requests, correspondence (via phone, email & live chat), reservations, and follow ups.
- Working knowledge of tour codes, package names and extensive trip information for 75+ domestic and international itineraries.
- Continuously develop in-depth knowledge of OARS trips, policies & procedures and our reservations/CRM system in order to provide quality recommendations for the best possible experience for our guests.
- Be an expert with respect to the competition.
- Log in to the phone queue daily according to standards set by management.
- Respond to assigned inquiries and return all messages from prospective and current guests, travel agents and co-workers in a courteous, professional and timely manner.
- Qualify and book guests. Accurately collect all pertinent information about every new and past guest signing up for a trip and screen guests to ensure they are suited for the trip in question.
- Enter relevant notes from calls or e-mail correspondence in bookings or client records, set follow ups and enter catalog requests as required.
- Respond to email inquiries promptly throughout the day.
- Follow up on all qualified inquiries (from phone calls, info requests, emails, live-chats, etc.) to ensure they choose OARS for their next adventure travel experience.
- Place reservations and process payments.
- Participate in departmental and company teams to improve internal processes and build a high-performing sales and customer service organization.
- Stay informed of marketing initiatives, special offers, etc.
- Attend office meetings.
- Other projects and duties as necessary or assigned.
- Weekend work and some travel may be required.
PHONES, LIVE CHAT AND EMAILS
- Be present at your desk and available to answer the phones & respond to live chat inquiries during scheduled work hours.
- Be in ready status at all times while on the clock, except for work breaks and meals.
- Answer in a timely, friendly manner: “Thanks for calling OARS this is _____, may I ask who’s calling?”
- Ask for and use client’s name.
- Respond to questions and concerns in a timely manner (ideally within minutes, but always within 24 hours or the next business day).
- Accurately enter contact info, etc. for all inquiries.
- Check voicemail, email messages, and Tour Tools inquiries and respond in a timely manner.
- Say thank you often and invite clients back after each trip.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Positive attitude with a passion for working with a diverse team
- Empathetic and resourceful problem solver with the ability to build genuine, authentic connections with guests and co-workers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to see the big picture
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office & Google Workspace
- Love of the outdoors
- Long hours sitting or standing and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain.
- Some lifting of supplies and materials on an as-needed basis.
- The OARS building is a busy, shared-office, call-center operation where interruptions are frequent. Remote work may be an option for the Adventure Consultant, provided an effective, professional home office environment is maintained. This workspace should be distraction free, and have all the tools required to complete the job the same way one would in a traditional office environment.
- Scheduled and unscheduled meetings with coworkers and managers are customary.
- Stressful working conditions due to call volume and customer demands are common.
- $17.50 – $24 per hour depending on experience
- Merit increases and bonuses, dependent on individual and company performance, considered on an annual basis
STANDARD BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES
- Company-funded health insurance plan after 60 days
- Reimbursement for approved wellness expenses up to $520 per year
- Company-matching ($.50 for every $1.00 contributed up to 6% of gross pay) 401k plan after 1 year
- 17 days Paid Time Off (PTO) accrued annually in years 0 – 2
- 25 days PTO accrued annually in years 3 – 9
- 30 days PTO accrued annually 10+ years
- 1 paid familiarization (FAM) trip annually
- Friends + Family discounts on OARS trips
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may email a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in this position to: email@example.com with a subject line of “Adventure Consultant.” No phone calls please.
Thank you for your interest in working for a world-class company in small-town California!