Employment > O.A.R.S. Internship Program
O.A.R.S. Summer Internship Program
O.A.R.S. whitewater rafting and adventure travel company is seeking qualified university students looking for practical office experience with a leading outfitter.
Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in this position, as well as personal and employer references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 28. No phone calls please.
The person qualifying for this internship should have superior academic work habits, strong written and verbal communication skills, and confidently be able to describe themselves as a self-starter who knows how to take the initiative with various office projects. Ideally, the intern will have a vehicle enabling travel to Angels Camp in rural California, home to our headquarters and a short drive from the outdoor playgrounds of Yosemite National Park and Lake Tahoe. The internship is open to all majors, especially those with a concentration in tourism management, recreation & leisure studies, communications, marketing, sustainability, and event planning.
The O.A.R.S. Administrative Intern reports to the Client Services Manager and supports the management team in the implementation of specific projects aimed at increasing business and gaining efficiencies. This position also supports the office, by answering overflow phone calls and performing general administrative duties.
Possible duties & projects may include:
- Utilizing superior written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task to correspond with supervisors, colleagues and customers
- Coordinating online marketing initiatives aimed at increasing business, including tasks related to blogging and content generation, social media, online polls and contests, search engine optimization, language translation, etc.
- Special events planning and administration, e.g. raft races, festivals, VIP events, film screenings, presentations, etc.
- Creation of Power Point presentations, multi-media slideshows, trip overview documents, etc. for sales purposes
- Researching new markets
- Digital photo management & organization
- Competitive analysis
- Local business outreach and networking
- Operational cost analysis by trip & spreadsheet development
- Sustainability audit and/or responsible tourism projects
- University outreach, promoting OARS Foundation & Instructional Programs
- Rivers Fiji University Program promotion through social networking, etc.
- Daily mail
- Entry of post-trip evaluation survey data into database
- Thank you cards & client details forms
- Data entry, fulfillment & customer follow up (forms, payment, etc.)
- Answering phones and booking trips as needed
- Performing special projects as assigned by management utilizing a strong knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel & Power Point) and basic knowledge of Adobe Products (Photoshop & Acrobat) with an aptitude for social media and content generation.
Although the start and end dates for this position are flexible, the internship requires an average of 40 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks May through August.
160 hours at $6.80/hr $1,088.00
320 hours at $8.00/hr $2,560.00
Housing not included
Applicant must be able to provide own transportation to assigned river training
Fuel stipend available
10 Commercial River Days
Friends + Family Discounts on Commercial River Trips