Employment > Field Staff
Employment with O.A.R.S. - Field Staff
Dear Potential O.A.R.S. Guide:
Whether you are a seasoned professional river runner or a complete novice, there are guiding opportunities at O.A.R.S. that can open up a whole new world of adventure. From the rush of spring snowmelt on rivers throughout the West to relaxed sea kayaking on pristine mountain lakes, our guides lead the way deep into some of the most magnificent landscapes on earth. Since 1969, O.A.R.S. has set the first-class standard for adventure travel vacations and our ongoing pursuit of excellence is based on providing superior service to our guests.
Guiding for O.A.R.S. is not an easy job. It is the rare, dynamic individual who can really do it well. O.A.R.S. guides combine a passion for the outdoors with compassion for our guests, a desire to learn with the talent to teach and a flexible attitude with a steadfast commitment to conservation. O.A.R.S. guides deliver the highest levels of service because we love what we do, we love the undeniably special places we visit and we love having a positive impact on the lives of others.
Would you care to join us?
- Currently, we can only accept applicants who can legally work in the United States or Canada.
- New applicants must be available to work during the North American summer. Opportunities for guiding our trips to international destinations during the winter and spring are reserved for returning employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely navigate oar/paddle boats and/or sea kayaks
- Seek to provide our guests with the best outdoor experience of their lives
- Present facts about the region’s natural and human history
- Provide a positive role model for children and facilitate kid-friendly activities
- Prepare delicious meals
- Care for O.A.R.S.’ equipment
- Lead interpretive walks and hikes
- Adhere to Seven Principles of Leave No Trace at all times
- Be a steward of the natural areas in which we travel
- CPR and First-Aid Certified (WFR/SWR are a plus)
- Customer service experience or superb people skills
- Background in natural history or leading groups, preferred
- Experience or willingness to work with young children and adolescents
- Capable of working long hours
- Physically fit
- Team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent English
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Basic computer knowledge