O.A.R.S. Press Release
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches World Rivers Series of New Trips Marrying Iconic Rivers with Cultural Destinations
- U.S. Marine Captain with Four Deployments to Afghanistan under His Belt Chosen as Winner of O.A.R.S. “Livin’ the Dream” Contest
- O.A.R.S. Announces Enhanced Commission Structure Including Travel Agent Commissions on Coveted Grand Canyon Rafting Adventures
- Condé Nast Traveler Selects O.A.R.S.’ Mindy Gleason Among its Top Travel Specialists for 7th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Launches “Livin’ the Dream” Contest To Become Honorary River Guide On No-Cost Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
- O.A.R.S. Family Rafting Adventures Give Kids a Break from Devices
- O.A.R.S. Experiencing Increased Demand For Rafting Adventures in Northern California This Summer On Reservoir-Controlled Rivers
- Two Oregon Purveyors of Fine Living, A Chocolatier and a Brew Master, Spice Up Father’s Day on the Rogue River with O.A.R.S.
- Veteran Outfitter O.A.R.S. by Longstanding Agreements With Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks Offers Guests Unique Access and Experiences
- A Strong Constitution for Fun Recommended for O.A.R.S.’ July 4th – 6th Tuolumne River Trip with 21st Amendment Brewery
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2013 Family Adventure Catalog With Vacations From Peru to Alaska
- O.A.R.S. Selected by Outside Magazine As Runner Up for “Best Outfitter of the Year”
- O.A.R.S. Outlines 2013 Menu of Whitewater Vacations On Idaho’s Iconic Salmon and Snake Rivers
- O.A.R.S. Offers 11 Unique Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Adventures in 2013
- O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
- O.A.R.S. Hosts Series of Epicurean Adventures on Idaho’s Salmon River with Whole Journeys
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top Travel Specialist for River Rafting by Condé Nast Traveler for the 6th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Founder, George Wendt, Honored at 2012 California River Awards
- O.A.R.S. Partners With Leading Social Media Agency To Launch Web Magazine
- Dinosaur National Monument, an Undiscovered Gem, Shines this Summer
- O.A.R.S. and American Rivers Shine the Light on the Endangered Green River
- O.A.R.S. Releases Industry-leading Whitewater Orientation Video
- O.A.R.S.’ Bosnia Three Rivers Tour Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2012
- The Grand Canyon by Dory Named to Hall of Fame in Outside's Inaugural Travel Awards
- O.A.R.S. Seeks to Inspire the Next Generation of Adventurers with New Family Catalog
- O.A.R.S. Launches Three New Adventures for 2012
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top River Rafting Expert by Condé Nast Traveler for the 5th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Reinvents the Travel Catalog for 2012
- Record Water Levels on Tap for 2011 Cataract Canyon Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S.’ Grand Canyon River Trip Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2011
- California Snowpack Has River Outfitters Looking Forward to 2011 Rafting Season
- Prime Minister of Fiji Recognizes Rivers Fiji with “Exporter of the Year” Award for Tourism Services
- Award-winning Outfitter Unveils 2011 Bucket List of Adventures
- O.A.R.S. Announces New Wilderness Gourmet Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones on the Rogue River
- Adventures in Wine and Whitewater
- Above Average Sierra Snowpack Translates to Exciting, Extended California Whitewater Rafting Season
- Grand Teton National Park selects O.A.R.S. as long-term concessionaire & the only rafting & sea kayaking outfitter to operate overnight trips in the park
- Rivers Fiji recognized with Responsible Tourism Award by Virgin Holidays
- Fifty “Eco-Friendly” Ways to Experience the Unforgettable Nature of an O.A.R.S. Adventure
- Adventure Travelers in Pursuit of the Seven Whitewater Wonders of the World
- Raft More, Spend Less: All-Inclusive Adventures Make Good Financial Sense in Today's Economy
- Unique Vacation Options, On and Off the Beaten Path, In America’s Most Iconic National Parks
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. To Begin Accepting Reservations for 2010 Grand Canyon Rafting Trips
- O.A.R.S. Offers Seven New Trips in 2009 Adding to an Extensive Collection of Adventurous Itineraries throughout the U.S. West, Canada, Latin America and Fiji
- O.A.R.S.’ Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Trips Offer Elegant Adventure Vacation Alternatives
- O.A.R.S. Commemorates 40th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by Partnering with American Rivers and by Offering a Benefit Whitewater Rafting Trip in Idaho
- O.A.R.S. - Mother Nature Cooperates with Whitewater Rafting Company: Snow Levels Make for an Outstanding 2008 Whitewater Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S. – the eco-savvy adventure travel outfitter further reduces carbon footprint with a new commitment to solar power
- O.A.R.S. announces a one-of-a kind series of rafting and product-testing expeditions with performance footwear innovator Teva
- Seven New Hiking-Specific Itineraries Added to O.A.R.S. Diverse Trip Options
- O.A.R.S. and Teva Team Up to Support a 3D Experience for IMAX Theaters – Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. Adventure Vacations - Something for everyone: the thrill-seeker, the naturalist, the not-exactly-athletic, the first-time camper and the seasoned boater
U.S. Marine Captain with Four Deployments to Afghanistan under His Belt Chosen as Winner of O.A.R.S. “Livin’ the Dream” Contest Prize Is Coveted “Swamper” Crew Position On Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
ANGELS CAMP, CA. Oct. 16, 2013 – A United States Marine Captain—stationed in Afghanistan for the past four summers—has been selected as the winner of O.A.R.S.’ “Livin’ the Dream” contest to become a “swamper,” or guide apprentice on a two-week Grand Canyon rafting trip on the Colorado River, when he returns to the States.
The once-in-a-lifetime position Capt. Bob Sise will claim is the result of a social media contest promoted nationally via Facebook & Twitter this summer to outdoor enthusiasts. The contest was hosted by veteran river outfitter and nature-based adventure travel company O.A.R.S. and sponsored by outdoor industry leaders: The Clymb, Northwest River Supply (NRS) and Teva.
During the two-week voting period in September, Capt. Sise of Wrightsville Beach, NC, received well over a third (7,053) of 19,577 votes cast. His submission was among 3,364 wanna-be “swampers” from all 50 states who poured their hearts out for a chance to win a crew spot on a trip through the Grand Canyon.
In response to being selected as the winner Capt. Sise wrote: “I can't thank my friends and family enough for rallying for me and getting the word out. It was tough pulling in votes while going out on regular 24-hr ‘business trips’ here in the Helmand River Valley, but I knew I had the edge when I heard that Grandmom was getting all of her friends at the nursing home to create Facebook accounts in order to vote daily. The closest thing I've seen to whitewater on the Helmand River was a floating IED that detonated a couple hundred feet upriver from us (the Taliban aren't exactly well versed in the art of reading rapids). No words can express how excited I am for this trip. The last four summers have been put on hold for deployments, so the plan is to pack five summers worth of fun into an epic All-American Summer and I can't think of a better way than to kick it all off than rafting through the Grand Canyon.”
The two closest runners-up were Michaela Hackner of Arlington, VA with 5,766 votes and Eva Lavalle of Des Moines, IA with 2,033 votes. A consolation river adventure will go to these two women and to 17 other finalists. Each will have the choice to join a rafting trip as a guest on either the Green River through the Gates of Lodore or the Colorado River through Cataract Canyon in Utah.
As a “swamper”, Capt. Sise will be a bonafide member of the O.A.R.S. crew, helping load boats, spending time on the oars, helping prepare meals and mingling with clients. Although this might not qualify as a true vacation, a guide slot on a Grand Canyon trip is considered a dream job by people in the know.
The 14- to 18-day trip will take Sise 280 miles through one of the Seven Wonders of the World, running legendary rapids and exploring hidden side canyons on one of the most popular adventure travel experiences on the planet. He will also receive a guide gear package that includes a personal flotation device (PFD), apparel and footwear provided by NRS and Teva.
In addition to the grand and consolation prizes, one contestant per day during the contest was selected at random to win a copy of the book, The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Though the Heart of the Grand Canyon, by Kevin Fedarko. A weekly winner also received a free pair of Teva Original sandals.
Steve Markle, Director of Sales & Marketing for the O.A.R.S. Family of Companies, had this to say about why the campaign was launched: “We wanted to highlight the Grand Canyon as one of the most sought after and meaningful adventure travel experiences on the planet while systematically introducing our company to a new generation of younger, outdoor lifestyle enthusiasts.” Markle says the results tell the story.
For more information, availability, reservations and a copy of the 2014 O.A.R.S. Adventures catalog, call 209-736-4677 or 800-346-6277, email email@example.com, or visit: http://www.oars.com/.