O.A.R.S. Press Release
- Two Oregon Purveyors of Fine Living, A Chocolatier and a Brew Master, Spice Up Father’s Day on the Rogue River with O.A.R.S.
- Veteran Outfitter O.A.R.S. by Longstanding Agreements With Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks Offers Guests Unique Access and Experiences
- A Strong Constitution for Fun Recommended for O.A.R.S.’ July 4th – 6th Tuolumne River Trip with 21st Amendment Brewery
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2013 Family Adventure Catalog With Vacations From Peru to Alaska
- O.A.R.S. Selected by Outside Magazine As Runner Up for “Best Outfitter of the Year”
- O.A.R.S. Outlines 2013 Menu of Whitewater Vacations On Idaho’s Iconic Salmon and Snake Rivers
- O.A.R.S. Offers 11 Unique Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Adventures in 2013
- O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
- O.A.R.S. Hosts Series of Epicurean Adventures on Idaho’s Salmon River with Whole Journeys
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top Travel Specialist for River Rafting by Condé Nast Traveler for the 6th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Founder, George Wendt, Honored at 2012 California River Awards
- O.A.R.S. Partners With Leading Social Media Agency To Launch Web Magazine
- Dinosaur National Monument, an Undiscovered Gem, Shines this Summer
- O.A.R.S. and American Rivers Shine the Light on the Endangered Green River
- O.A.R.S. Releases Industry-leading Whitewater Orientation Video
- O.A.R.S.’ Bosnia Three Rivers Tour Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2012
- The Grand Canyon by Dory Named to Hall of Fame in Outside's Inaugural Travel Awards
- O.A.R.S. Seeks to Inspire the Next Generation of Adventurers with New Family Catalog
- O.A.R.S. Launches Three New Adventures for 2012
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top River Rafting Expert by Condé Nast Traveler for the 5th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Reinvents the Travel Catalog for 2012
- Record Water Levels on Tap for 2011 Cataract Canyon Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S.’ Grand Canyon River Trip Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2011
- California Snowpack Has River Outfitters Looking Forward to 2011 Rafting Season
- Prime Minister of Fiji Recognizes Rivers Fiji with “Exporter of the Year” Award for Tourism Services
- Award-winning Outfitter Unveils 2011 Bucket List of Adventures
- O.A.R.S. Announces New Wilderness Gourmet Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones on the Rogue River
- Adventures in Wine and Whitewater
- Above Average Sierra Snowpack Translates to Exciting, Extended California Whitewater Rafting Season
- Grand Teton National Park selects O.A.R.S. as long-term concessionaire & the only rafting & sea kayaking outfitter to operate overnight trips in the park
- Rivers Fiji recognized with Responsible Tourism Award by Virgin Holidays
- Fifty “Eco-Friendly” Ways to Experience the Unforgettable Nature of an O.A.R.S. Adventure
- Adventure Travelers in Pursuit of the Seven Whitewater Wonders of the World
- Raft More, Spend Less: All-Inclusive Adventures Make Good Financial Sense in Today's Economy
- Unique Vacation Options, On and Off the Beaten Path, In America’s Most Iconic National Parks
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. To Begin Accepting Reservations for 2010 Grand Canyon Rafting Trips
- O.A.R.S. Offers Seven New Trips in 2009 Adding to an Extensive Collection of Adventurous Itineraries throughout the U.S. West, Canada, Latin America and Fiji
- O.A.R.S.’ Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Trips Offer Elegant Adventure Vacation Alternatives
- O.A.R.S. Commemorates 40th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by Partnering with American Rivers and by Offering a Benefit Whitewater Rafting Trip in Idaho
- O.A.R.S. - Mother Nature Cooperates with Whitewater Rafting Company: Snow Levels Make for an Outstanding 2008 Whitewater Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S. – the eco-savvy adventure travel outfitter further reduces carbon footprint with a new commitment to solar power
- O.A.R.S. announces a one-of-a kind series of rafting and product-testing expeditions with performance footwear innovator Teva
- Seven New Hiking-Specific Itineraries Added to O.A.R.S. Diverse Trip Options
- O.A.R.S. and Teva Team Up to Support a 3D Experience for IMAX Theaters – Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. Adventure Vacations - Something for everyone: the thrill-seeker, the naturalist, the not-exactly-athletic, the first-time camper and the seasoned boater
O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
Angels Camp, Calif. – Jan. 17, 2013 – In December, world-renowned rafting outfitter O.A.R.S. successfully completed their first descent down one of the world’s last truly wild rivers—the Upper Drangme Chhu in Bhutan. Cascading down from the eastern Himalaya, the Drangme Chhu challenges rafters with Class IV to V whitewater amidst dramatic mountain scenery. After this preliminary scouting expedition, O.A.R.S. has added the Sacred Rivers of Bhutan whitewater rafting trip to their portfolio of nearly 100 different itineraries, with scheduled departures in December, 2013 & February, 2014.
“It was a true expedition. The feeling of guides and clients alike was that we accomplished something very special—we met the challenge of the unknown and navigated it well,” said Barbara Neary, trip designer and veteran expedition leader for O.A.R.S.
The Drangme Chhu, in the Manas region of Bhutan, was completely closed to tourism for decades until, in 2009, the first rafting descent down the river brought visitors this far into the South Asian country. Since then only a handful of rafters and kayakers, along with a BBC tiger study expedition have ventured into the area.
This gorge section is perhaps one of the finest sections of Class IV to V whitewater in the world, with beautiful scenic views and untouched forests carving through terrain that few have seen. The adventure spans the country from Paro in the west, crossing several high passes, culminating at the put-in on the Drangme Chhu in the east. Paddlers on this trip will warm up on other gorgeous Bhutanese rivers, the Lower Pho Chhu and Lower Mangde Chhu. They’ll paddle the Ema Datzi Canyon, an invigorating Class III stretch of whitewater through an absolutely dazzling river canyon straight out of a fairy tale—dramatic black canyon walls surrounding emerald water against a dynamic jungle backdrop.
Along the route, when travelers are not on the river, they will have a number of opportunities to interact with Bhutanese monks—who are always welcoming and engaging—at their monasteries and dzongs. The group will visit local artisans, including those at a weaving center in the heart of Bumthang where they can learn more about everyday Bhutanese life. O.A.R.S.’ guests will be hosted by one of their Bhutanese partners, Ugden Dorji, in Enduchholing, the winter residence of the first King of Bhutan. While travelers are staying here, they will have the opportunity to participate in a local festival with masked dances, local lore and a sumptuous feast.
Neary summed up the experience of this off-the-beaten-path region saying, “The Bhutanese Himalaya is dramatic; the monasteries and dzongs are awe-inspiring; the Buddhist religion and festivals are colorful; the artisans are talented; and the food plentiful and delicious. The Bhutanese people are nothing but delightful in every way.”
The next 17-day Drangme Chhu trips depart on Dec. 1, 2013 and Feb. 3, 2014 for a price of $7495 per person. For more details about the Sacred Rivers of Bhutan trip, please visit http://www.oars.com/bhutan/bhutan-rafting. Alternatively, O.A.R.S. offers an 11-day, Class III Sacred Rivers itinerary for $5495.
For photographs, contact adventure photographer Justin Baile at email@example.com or view his Bhutan galleries here