O.A.R.S. Press Release
- O.A.R.S. Embraces Autumn On Western Waterways and National Park Trails With Multi-Day Adventure Vacations
- O.A.R.S.’ Wine on the River Series Pairs Vineyards and Gourmet Presentations With Drama of Rafting Western Rivers
- Return of High Water to Utah’s Cataract Canyon Promises Some of the Best Rafting of the Year
- O.A.R.S. California Road Trip Sweepstakes Celebrates 150th Anniversary of the Yosemite Grant
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches Social Media Contest to Help Encourage National Park Visits this Summer
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Partnership with Klean Kanteen
- 2014 Pacific Coast Rafting Outlook Remains Positive Despite Drought
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Pre-Season Rafting Forecast
- O.A.R.S. Guides Lead Historic Rafting Descent on the Colorado River “Pulse Flow”
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Family Adventures Catalog Featuring 21 Easy to Epic Vacation Ideas
- The Year of the Dory: O.A.R.S. Pays Tribute to Legendary Grand Canyon Boatman/Environmental Crusader Martin Litton for its 45th Anniversary
- O.A.R.S. Introduces New-for-2014 Lodge-Based Grand Canyon Hiking Adventure
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Departures Exploring the Sacred Rivers of Bhutan
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches World Rivers Series of New Trips Marrying Iconic Rivers with Cultural Destinations
- U.S. Marine Captain with Four Deployments to Afghanistan under His Belt Chosen as Winner of O.A.R.S. “Livin’ the Dream” Contest
- O.A.R.S. Announces Enhanced Commission Structure Including Travel Agent Commissions on Coveted Grand Canyon Rafting Adventures
- Condé Nast Traveler Selects O.A.R.S.’ Mindy Gleason Among its Top Travel Specialists for 7th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Launches “Livin’ the Dream” Contest To Become Honorary River Guide On No-Cost Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
- O.A.R.S. Family Rafting Adventures Give Kids a Break from Devices
- O.A.R.S. Experiencing Increased Demand For Rafting Adventures in Northern California This Summer On Reservoir-Controlled Rivers
- Two Oregon Purveyors of Fine Living, A Chocolatier and a Brew Master, Spice Up Father’s Day on the Rogue River with O.A.R.S.
- Veteran Outfitter O.A.R.S. by Longstanding Agreements With Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks Offers Guests Unique Access and Experiences
- A Strong Constitution for Fun Recommended for O.A.R.S.’ July 4th – 6th Tuolumne River Trip with 21st Amendment Brewery
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2013 Family Adventure Catalog With Vacations From Peru to Alaska
- O.A.R.S. Selected by Outside Magazine As Runner Up for “Best Outfitter of the Year”
- O.A.R.S. Outlines 2013 Menu of Whitewater Vacations On Idaho’s Iconic Salmon and Snake Rivers
- O.A.R.S. Offers 11 Unique Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Adventures in 2013
- O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
- O.A.R.S. Hosts Series of Epicurean Adventures on Idaho’s Salmon River with Whole Journeys
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top Travel Specialist for River Rafting by Condé Nast Traveler for the 6th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Founder, George Wendt, Honored at 2012 California River Awards
- O.A.R.S. Partners With Leading Social Media Agency To Launch Web Magazine
- Dinosaur National Monument, an Undiscovered Gem, Shines this Summer
- O.A.R.S. and American Rivers Shine the Light on the Endangered Green River
- O.A.R.S. Releases Industry-leading Whitewater Orientation Video
- O.A.R.S.’ Bosnia Three Rivers Tour Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2012
- The Grand Canyon by Dory Named to Hall of Fame in Outside's Inaugural Travel Awards
- O.A.R.S. Seeks to Inspire the Next Generation of Adventurers with New Family Catalog
- O.A.R.S. Launches Three New Adventures for 2012
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top River Rafting Expert by Condé Nast Traveler for the 5th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Reinvents the Travel Catalog for 2012
- Record Water Levels on Tap for 2011 Cataract Canyon Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S.’ Grand Canyon River Trip Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2011
- California Snowpack Has River Outfitters Looking Forward to 2011 Rafting Season
- Prime Minister of Fiji Recognizes Rivers Fiji with “Exporter of the Year” Award for Tourism Services
- Award-winning Outfitter Unveils 2011 Bucket List of Adventures
- O.A.R.S. Announces New Wilderness Gourmet Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones on the Rogue River
- Adventures in Wine and Whitewater
- Above Average Sierra Snowpack Translates to Exciting, Extended California Whitewater Rafting Season
- Grand Teton National Park selects O.A.R.S. as long-term concessionaire & the only rafting & sea kayaking outfitter to operate overnight trips in the park
- Rivers Fiji recognized with Responsible Tourism Award by Virgin Holidays
- Fifty “Eco-Friendly” Ways to Experience the Unforgettable Nature of an O.A.R.S. Adventure
- Adventure Travelers in Pursuit of the Seven Whitewater Wonders of the World
- Raft More, Spend Less: All-Inclusive Adventures Make Good Financial Sense in Today's Economy
- Unique Vacation Options, On and Off the Beaten Path, In America’s Most Iconic National Parks
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. To Begin Accepting Reservations for 2010 Grand Canyon Rafting Trips
- O.A.R.S. Offers Seven New Trips in 2009 Adding to an Extensive Collection of Adventurous Itineraries throughout the U.S. West, Canada, Latin America and Fiji
- O.A.R.S.’ Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Trips Offer Elegant Adventure Vacation Alternatives
- O.A.R.S. Commemorates 40th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by Partnering with American Rivers and by Offering a Benefit Whitewater Rafting Trip in Idaho
- O.A.R.S. - Mother Nature Cooperates with Whitewater Rafting Company: Snow Levels Make for an Outstanding 2008 Whitewater Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S. – the eco-savvy adventure travel outfitter further reduces carbon footprint with a new commitment to solar power
- O.A.R.S. announces a one-of-a kind series of rafting and product-testing expeditions with performance footwear innovator Teva
- Seven New Hiking-Specific Itineraries Added to O.A.R.S. Diverse Trip Options
- O.A.R.S. and Teva Team Up to Support a 3D Experience for IMAX Theaters – Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. Adventure Vacations - Something for everyone: the thrill-seeker, the naturalist, the not-exactly-athletic, the first-time camper and the seasoned boater
O.A.R.S. Announces New "Wilderness Gourmet" Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones & Fresh Oregon Fare on the Wild & Scenic Rogue River
Angels Camp, California—June 29, 2010—Veteran rafting & adventure travel outfitter, O.A.R.S. (Outdoor Adventure River Specialists), announced a new addition to their popular Wilderness Gourmet series of culinary adventure vacations. This 4-day specialty departure beginning September 18th includes 45 miles of Class III whitewater rafting on Southern Oregon’s popular Rogue River, combined with expert instruction on how to prepare delectable riverside dishes. Each evening, Executive Chef Damon Jones of Larks Restaurant at the Ashland Springs Hotel, will utilize peak-season ingredients to create a perfect expression of Oregon's bounty. A selection of award-winning, local wines will complement each evening’s meal.
Recently featured in the New York Times, O.A.R.S.’ Wilderness Gourmet adventures are in high demand and growing increasingly popular among food- and wine-lovers, in addition to whitewater enthusiasts nationwide. The company currently maintains a waitlist for their September 1st trip, featuring Chef Bob Anderson, former Executive Chef of the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite and currently owner of V Restaurant in Murphys, California. O.A.R.S.’ 2011 gourmet trips are now booking more than a year in advance.
These gourmet whitewater rafting adventures are an elegant alternative to traditional river trips and hold a certain appeal among the foodie set. After a day of exhilarating rafting, three-course meals are served shortly after arrival at camp, including hors d’oeuvres paired with premium wines from some of the best vineyards in the West, a gourmet entrée, followed by a delectable dessert prepared riverside. O.A.R.S. Marketing Director, Steve Markle explains, “You don’t have to be a gourmet chef to enjoy these mouth-watering river trips.”
Unique to the September 18th departure, Chef Damon promises to deliver a southern Oregon ‘Farm-to-Table’ experience featuring farm-fresh produce, meats and cheeses sourced exclusively from the local “foodshed,” with fresh seafood from the Oregon coast. Recognizing the social and environmental advantages of locally grown and produced food, Chef Damon will also be accompanied by a small-scale Oregon farmer who will help to create a fully sustainable, natural dining experience on the river.
When asked, ‘Why eat local?’ Chef Damon explains: “There’s a direct relationship that’s established, and it’s more about that connection than anything else. I’m big on sustainability, and able to literally pick up the phone and speak directly to the fisherman I buy seafood from instead of having to go through third parties to place an order; not to mention, that first-hand relationship puts money back into cultivating the local economy.” Just as farmers, ranchers and fisherman are recognizing the social and environmental advantages of sustainable agriculture, consumers are coming to appreciate the benefits of fresh and sustainably-produced food. Increasingly, producers and consumers are being linked through community supported agriculture and farmers' markets.
Chef Damon continues: “There’s also a level of pride that farmers have in the produce they grow, and sharing that with people helps consumers acquire a unique perspective on what they’re eating. The farmers know it best, it comes from having a passion and a green thumb; they’re extremely knowledgeable of the process and they work hard to sustain their land.”
A typical meal prepared by Chef Damon on this unique O.A.R.S. adventure might include seared Tumbo Tuna with spicy mustard and reduced soy, followed by a grilled American Kobe flatiron steak entrée with caramelized onion, homemade Worcestershire sauce, fingerling potatoes, and andouille sautéed Brussels sprouts. For dessert, a lemon sponge cake with huckleberry compote, raspberry coulis, and vanilla whip cream rounds out the evening.
In addition to their popular Wilderness Gourmet trips, O.A.R.S. also offers a series of Wine on the River adventures, featuring gourmet meals prepared by acclaimed chefs and premium wines introduced by regional vintners. As quoted in another recent article in the Los Angeles Times, O.A.R.S. guest Bruce Legernes recalls, "We learned a lot about wines from the foothills and the food was absolutely marvelous. We even had duck confit, cooked in its own fat right there along the river!"
The series continues on August 17th with an exceptional, three-day whitewater rafting adventure on California’s Tuolumne River, just outside of Yosemite National Park. The Tuolumne River is one of California’s most pristine rafting runs, not to mention one of the most challenging. By day, rafters will navigate a series of thrilling rapids, stopping occasionally for mini-hikes up side canyons carved by waterfalls. In the late afternoon, Scott Klan, Winemaker for Twisted Oak Winery, will present a selection of award-winning varietals from the Sierra Foothills.
O.A.R.S.’ August 23rd – 25th trip on the Tuolumne will include wines from Boyle MacDonald paired with mouth-watering menus prepared by Neil Clooney, two-time winner of Iron Chef Oregon and Executive Chef of the Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens in Ashland.
Ironstone Vineyard’s President and whitewater enthusiast, Stephen Kautz, will present his award-winning wines on an August 27th, 6-day trip on the Wild and Scenic Middle Fork of the Salmon River alongside Executive Chef James Lehman. Considered by many to be North America’s premier alpine river experience, the Middle Fork boasts non-stop, Class III-IV whitewater, natural hot springs and excellent fishing. The Kautz family is committed to producing wines of exceptional, unparalleled quality, outstanding value and everyday approachability.
Since 1969 O.A.R.S. has set the standard in first-class rafting, sea kayaking and multi-sport vacations, with destinations and unparalleled experiences on over 35 rivers and coastlines of the world. O.A.R.S. caters to active travelers of all ages and abilities with more than 75 unique itineraries worldwide, including one-day and weekend escapes. For more information on O.A.R.S. gourmet wine and culinary adventures, including a free 84-page color catalog, call O.A.R.S. at 1-800-346-6277, email the company at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.oars.com.