O.A.R.S. Press Release
- O.A.R.S.’ Wine on the River Series Pairs Vineyards and Gourmet Presentations With Drama of Rafting Western Rivers
- Return of High Water to Utah’s Cataract Canyon Promises Some of the Best Rafting of the Year
- O.A.R.S. California Road Trip Sweepstakes Celebrates 150th Anniversary of the Yosemite Grant
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches Social Media Contest to Help Encourage National Park Visits this Summer
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Partnership with Klean Kanteen
- 2014 Pacific Coast Rafting Outlook Remains Positive Despite Drought
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Pre-Season Rafting Forecast
- O.A.R.S. Guides Lead Historic Rafting Descent on the Colorado River “Pulse Flow”
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Family Adventures Catalog Featuring 21 Easy to Epic Vacation Ideas
- The Year of the Dory: O.A.R.S. Pays Tribute to Legendary Grand Canyon Boatman/Environmental Crusader Martin Litton for its 45th Anniversary
- O.A.R.S. Introduces New-for-2014 Lodge-Based Grand Canyon Hiking Adventure
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Departures Exploring the Sacred Rivers of Bhutan
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches World Rivers Series of New Trips Marrying Iconic Rivers with Cultural Destinations
- U.S. Marine Captain with Four Deployments to Afghanistan under His Belt Chosen as Winner of O.A.R.S. “Livin’ the Dream” Contest
- O.A.R.S. Announces Enhanced Commission Structure Including Travel Agent Commissions on Coveted Grand Canyon Rafting Adventures
- Condé Nast Traveler Selects O.A.R.S.’ Mindy Gleason Among its Top Travel Specialists for 7th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Launches “Livin’ the Dream” Contest To Become Honorary River Guide On No-Cost Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
- O.A.R.S. Family Rafting Adventures Give Kids a Break from Devices
- O.A.R.S. Experiencing Increased Demand For Rafting Adventures in Northern California This Summer On Reservoir-Controlled Rivers
- Two Oregon Purveyors of Fine Living, A Chocolatier and a Brew Master, Spice Up Father’s Day on the Rogue River with O.A.R.S.
- Veteran Outfitter O.A.R.S. by Longstanding Agreements With Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks Offers Guests Unique Access and Experiences
- A Strong Constitution for Fun Recommended for O.A.R.S.’ July 4th – 6th Tuolumne River Trip with 21st Amendment Brewery
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2013 Family Adventure Catalog With Vacations From Peru to Alaska
- O.A.R.S. Selected by Outside Magazine As Runner Up for “Best Outfitter of the Year”
- O.A.R.S. Outlines 2013 Menu of Whitewater Vacations On Idaho’s Iconic Salmon and Snake Rivers
- O.A.R.S. Offers 11 Unique Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Adventures in 2013
- O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
- O.A.R.S. Hosts Series of Epicurean Adventures on Idaho’s Salmon River with Whole Journeys
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top Travel Specialist for River Rafting by Condé Nast Traveler for the 6th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Founder, George Wendt, Honored at 2012 California River Awards
- O.A.R.S. Partners With Leading Social Media Agency To Launch Web Magazine
- Dinosaur National Monument, an Undiscovered Gem, Shines this Summer
- O.A.R.S. and American Rivers Shine the Light on the Endangered Green River
- O.A.R.S. Releases Industry-leading Whitewater Orientation Video
- O.A.R.S.’ Bosnia Three Rivers Tour Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2012
- The Grand Canyon by Dory Named to Hall of Fame in Outside's Inaugural Travel Awards
- O.A.R.S. Seeks to Inspire the Next Generation of Adventurers with New Family Catalog
- O.A.R.S. Launches Three New Adventures for 2012
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top River Rafting Expert by Condé Nast Traveler for the 5th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Reinvents the Travel Catalog for 2012
- Record Water Levels on Tap for 2011 Cataract Canyon Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S.’ Grand Canyon River Trip Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2011
- California Snowpack Has River Outfitters Looking Forward to 2011 Rafting Season
- Prime Minister of Fiji Recognizes Rivers Fiji with “Exporter of the Year” Award for Tourism Services
- Award-winning Outfitter Unveils 2011 Bucket List of Adventures
- O.A.R.S. Announces New Wilderness Gourmet Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones on the Rogue River
- Adventures in Wine and Whitewater
- Above Average Sierra Snowpack Translates to Exciting, Extended California Whitewater Rafting Season
- Grand Teton National Park selects O.A.R.S. as long-term concessionaire & the only rafting & sea kayaking outfitter to operate overnight trips in the park
- Rivers Fiji recognized with Responsible Tourism Award by Virgin Holidays
- Fifty “Eco-Friendly” Ways to Experience the Unforgettable Nature of an O.A.R.S. Adventure
- Adventure Travelers in Pursuit of the Seven Whitewater Wonders of the World
- Raft More, Spend Less: All-Inclusive Adventures Make Good Financial Sense in Today's Economy
- Unique Vacation Options, On and Off the Beaten Path, In America’s Most Iconic National Parks
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. To Begin Accepting Reservations for 2010 Grand Canyon Rafting Trips
- O.A.R.S. Offers Seven New Trips in 2009 Adding to an Extensive Collection of Adventurous Itineraries throughout the U.S. West, Canada, Latin America and Fiji
- O.A.R.S.’ Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Trips Offer Elegant Adventure Vacation Alternatives
- O.A.R.S. Commemorates 40th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by Partnering with American Rivers and by Offering a Benefit Whitewater Rafting Trip in Idaho
- O.A.R.S. - Mother Nature Cooperates with Whitewater Rafting Company: Snow Levels Make for an Outstanding 2008 Whitewater Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S. – the eco-savvy adventure travel outfitter further reduces carbon footprint with a new commitment to solar power
- O.A.R.S. announces a one-of-a kind series of rafting and product-testing expeditions with performance footwear innovator Teva
- Seven New Hiking-Specific Itineraries Added to O.A.R.S. Diverse Trip Options
- O.A.R.S. and Teva Team Up to Support a 3D Experience for IMAX Theaters – Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. Adventure Vacations - Something for everyone: the thrill-seeker, the naturalist, the not-exactly-athletic, the first-time camper and the seasoned boater
O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Pre-Season Rafting Forecast
Big Water Rafting Conditions Expected on River Systems Across Inter-Mountain West Following Above Average Snowpack Reports
ANGELS CAMP, CA, April 8, 2014 – The worldwide leader in whitewater rafting with river trips throughout the western U.S., O.A.R.S., announces which river systems will feature the best boatable flows, including early-season big water runs, for the 2014 season.
O.A.R.S.’ 2014 whitewater rafting forecast follows this week’s above-average SNOTEL snowpack reports in the Rocky Mountains from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service. Based on regional data from specific river drainage basins, O.A.R.S. anticipates an exciting and lengthy season, with early season high-water trips, on the Salmon and Snake Rivers in Idaho, the Yampa River and Green River through the Gates of Lodore in Dinosaur National Monument, as well as on the Colorado River through Cataract Canyon in Canyonlands National Park.
In Idaho, with current snowpack in the Salmon River drainage at 119 percent of average and the Hells Canyon drainage at 123 percent of average, Curt Chang, O.A.R.S. Idaho Regional Manager says peak flows are anticipated in late May.
“High flow for the Middle Fork Salmon is predicted at 6.5 feet, and 69,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) for the Main Salmon,” he said. “[The Snake River through] Hells Canyon is dam controlled so that will not likely get higher than 40,000 cfs.”
In northern Colorado, the Green River basin is 144 percent of normal, while the Yampa River basin is at 125 percent of average.
“Looking at the numbers, we’re at the same point we were for 2011 which was a high water year and we saw over 20,000 cfs on the Yampa,” according to O.A.R.S. Dinosaur Regional Manager, Bruce Lavoie. “Looking at a good snowpack like we are, the peak is likely to be late May to early June.”
Further south, current snowpack is at 131 percent of normal in the Upper Colorado River headwaters. O.A.R.S. Utah Regional Manager, Steve Kenney explains that April weather will be the final factor in determining the high-water peak for the Colorado River through Cataract Canyon, but the flow will be higher than the previous two years.
“Anything over 50,000 cfs is considered high water and right now there is a 50 percent chance the river will reach a high of 52,000 cfs,” Kenney continued. “If it keeps snowing into late April it could turn into 2011 which hit 84,000 cfs.”
What does all this mean?
The above average snowpack reports across much of the inter-mountain West ensure that the 2014 rafting season will not only be reliable, but has the potential to be one for the record books if April turns out to be wet and cold as predicted in some areas. River runners should expect maximum excitement along with colder water on the rivers of Idaho, Colorado and Utah during peak runoff in late May through mid-June.
“At high water we’re looking for people who are adventurous, and in good shape,” said Lavoie. “The water is cold and if they take a swim they need to be ready for it mentally and physically.”
“Above 50,000 cfs in Cataract Canyon this is no longer a scenic vacation trip,” continued Kenney. “It’s an expedition with all of the wonderful thrills of the wildness in nature.”
O.A.R.S. will likely be enforcing age restrictions during high water, which would raise the minimum age from 7 years to 12 years or even 16 years on some rivers for a short period of time. Folks who are active, physically fit and looking for a “big ride” should target these rivers in late spring/early summer, while families with younger children and first-timers will enjoy fun and steady flows from late June through September or even October in Cataract Canyon.
For more information, questions about high water trips, availability, reservations or a copy of the 2014 O.A.R.S. Adventures catalog call 209-736-4677 or 800-346-6277, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit: http://www.oars.com/.