O.A.R.S. Press Release
- OARS announces 2-year partnership with the National Park Foundation
- O.A.R.S. Releases Optimistic 2015 Whitewater Rafting Forecast
- O.A.R.S. and Chaco Pair Up
- TravelAge West Selects O.A.R.S. as 2015 Best Tour Operator for Adventure
- OUTSIDE Honors O.A.R.S. with Two Best of Travel Awards: Best River Trip and Best River Guide
- The Confluence of Adventure
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2015 Family Adventures Catalog
- Yampa River News
- Rivers Fiji Recognized Among World Leaders in Responsible Tourism
- O.A.R.S. Releases River of Eden by Filmmaker Pete McBride
- O.A.R.S. Embraces Autumn On Western Waterways and National Park Trails With Multi-Day Adventure Vacations
- O.A.R.S.’ Wine on the River Series Pairs Vineyards and Gourmet Presentations With Drama of Rafting Western Rivers
- Return of High Water to Utah’s Cataract Canyon Promises Some of the Best Rafting of the Year
- O.A.R.S. California Road Trip Sweepstakes Celebrates 150th Anniversary of the Yosemite Grant
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches Social Media Contest to Help Encourage National Park Visits this Summer
- O.A.R.S., World Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Partnership with Klean Kanteen
- 2014 Pacific Coast Rafting Outlook Remains Positive Despite Drought
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Pre-Season Rafting Forecast
- O.A.R.S. Guides Lead Historic Rafting Descent on the Colorado River “Pulse Flow”
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2014 Family Adventures Catalog Featuring 21 Easy to Epic Vacation Ideas
- The Year of the Dory: O.A.R.S. Pays Tribute to Legendary Grand Canyon Boatman/Environmental Crusader Martin Litton for its 45th Anniversary
- O.A.R.S. Introduces New-for-2014 Lodge-Based Grand Canyon Hiking Adventure
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Announces New Departures Exploring the Sacred Rivers of Bhutan
- O.A.R.S., Worldwide Leader in Whitewater Rafting, Launches World Rivers Series of New Trips Marrying Iconic Rivers with Cultural Destinations
- U.S. Marine Captain with Four Deployments to Afghanistan under His Belt Chosen as Winner of O.A.R.S. “Livin’ the Dream” Contest
- O.A.R.S. Announces Enhanced Commission Structure Including Travel Agent Commissions on Coveted Grand Canyon Rafting Adventures
- Condé Nast Traveler Selects O.A.R.S.’ Mindy Gleason Among its Top Travel Specialists for 7th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Launches “Livin’ the Dream” Contest To Become Honorary River Guide On No-Cost Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
- O.A.R.S. Family Rafting Adventures Give Kids a Break from Devices
- O.A.R.S. Experiencing Increased Demand For Rafting Adventures in Northern California This Summer On Reservoir-Controlled Rivers
- Two Oregon Purveyors of Fine Living, A Chocolatier and a Brew Master, Spice Up Father’s Day on the Rogue River with O.A.R.S.
- Veteran Outfitter O.A.R.S. by Longstanding Agreements With Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks Offers Guests Unique Access and Experiences
- A Strong Constitution for Fun Recommended for O.A.R.S.’ July 4th – 6th Tuolumne River Trip with 21st Amendment Brewery
- O.A.R.S. Releases 2013 Family Adventure Catalog With Vacations From Peru to Alaska
- O.A.R.S. Selected by Outside Magazine As Runner Up for “Best Outfitter of the Year”
- O.A.R.S. Outlines 2013 Menu of Whitewater Vacations On Idaho’s Iconic Salmon and Snake Rivers
- O.A.R.S. Offers 11 Unique Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Adventures in 2013
- O.A.R.S. Rafts Second-Ever Descent of Drangme Chhu in Bhutan
- O.A.R.S. Hosts Series of Epicurean Adventures on Idaho’s Salmon River with Whole Journeys
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top Travel Specialist for River Rafting by Condé Nast Traveler for the 6th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Founder, George Wendt, Honored at 2012 California River Awards
- O.A.R.S. Partners With Leading Social Media Agency To Launch Web Magazine
- Dinosaur National Monument, an Undiscovered Gem, Shines this Summer
- O.A.R.S. and American Rivers Shine the Light on the Endangered Green River
- O.A.R.S. Releases Industry-leading Whitewater Orientation Video
- O.A.R.S.’ Bosnia Three Rivers Tour Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2012
- The Grand Canyon by Dory Named to Hall of Fame in Outside's Inaugural Travel Awards
- O.A.R.S. Seeks to Inspire the Next Generation of Adventurers with New Family Catalog
- O.A.R.S. Launches Three New Adventures for 2012
- O.A.R.S.’ Adventure Consultant Recognized as Top River Rafting Expert by Condé Nast Traveler for the 5th Consecutive Year
- O.A.R.S. Reinvents the Travel Catalog for 2012
- Record Water Levels on Tap for 2011 Cataract Canyon Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S.’ Grand Canyon River Trip Recognized as One of “50 Tours of a Lifetime” for 2011
- California Snowpack Has River Outfitters Looking Forward to 2011 Rafting Season
- Prime Minister of Fiji Recognizes Rivers Fiji with “Exporter of the Year” Award for Tourism Services
- Award-winning Outfitter Unveils 2011 Bucket List of Adventures
- O.A.R.S. Announces New Wilderness Gourmet Culinary Adventure Featuring Acclaimed Ashland Chef, Damon Jones on the Rogue River
- Adventures in Wine and Whitewater
- Above Average Sierra Snowpack Translates to Exciting, Extended California Whitewater Rafting Season
- Grand Teton National Park selects O.A.R.S. as long-term concessionaire & the only rafting & sea kayaking outfitter to operate overnight trips in the park
- Rivers Fiji recognized with Responsible Tourism Award by Virgin Holidays
- Fifty “Eco-Friendly” Ways to Experience the Unforgettable Nature of an O.A.R.S. Adventure
- Adventure Travelers in Pursuit of the Seven Whitewater Wonders of the World
- Raft More, Spend Less: All-Inclusive Adventures Make Good Financial Sense in Today's Economy
- Unique Vacation Options, On and Off the Beaten Path, In America’s Most Iconic National Parks
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. To Begin Accepting Reservations for 2010 Grand Canyon Rafting Trips
- O.A.R.S. Offers Seven New Trips in 2009 Adding to an Extensive Collection of Adventurous Itineraries throughout the U.S. West, Canada, Latin America and Fiji
- O.A.R.S.’ Gourmet Whitewater Rafting Trips Offer Elegant Adventure Vacation Alternatives
- O.A.R.S. Commemorates 40th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act by Partnering with American Rivers and by Offering a Benefit Whitewater Rafting Trip in Idaho
- O.A.R.S. - Mother Nature Cooperates with Whitewater Rafting Company: Snow Levels Make for an Outstanding 2008 Whitewater Rafting Season
- O.A.R.S. – the eco-savvy adventure travel outfitter further reduces carbon footprint with a new commitment to solar power
- O.A.R.S. announces a one-of-a kind series of rafting and product-testing expeditions with performance footwear innovator Teva
- Seven New Hiking-Specific Itineraries Added to O.A.R.S. Diverse Trip Options
- O.A.R.S. and Teva Team Up to Support a 3D Experience for IMAX Theaters – Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk
- O.A.R.S. Receives Top Honors from Distinguished Media Outlets
- O.A.R.S. Adventure Vacations - Something for everyone: the thrill-seeker, the naturalist, the not-exactly-athletic, the first-time camper and the seasoned boater
2014 Pacific Coast Rafting Outlook Remains Positive Despite Drought
Smart Water Management Expected to Provide Reliable Rafting Flows on Popular Whitewater Runs Through Labor Day
ANGELS CAMP, CA, April 15, 2014 – O.A.R.S., the worldwide leader in whitewater rafting with river trips throughout the West, is gearing up for a solid rafting season on California and Oregon’s most popular whitewater rivers despite below average snowpack conditions throughout the region.
The positive 2014 California rafting outlook is the result of smart water management decisions by local utilities, and in some cases, essential agreements that guarantee reliable flows for recreational uses on dam-controlled rivers such as the Klamath and the American.
On the South Fork of the American River, based on licensing agreements with the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), water releases for recreational use are assured. Reliable flows for boating are expected three days per week (Saturday through Monday) in April and May, followed by five days per week (Thursday through Monday) beginning Memorial Day weekend and lasting through Labor Day. Currently, boatable flows are also expected throughout the summer on the Middle Fork of the American River, which has ample water in upstream reservoirs for rafting on the majority of days between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
The Hetch Hetchy Water and Power (HHWP) recreational flows update from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission suggests that the Tuolumne River watershed has a significantly higher percentage of normal water levels than the rest of the state and that outfitters should have good rafting conditions on the Tuolumne River at least through June 15th of this year. Earlier in the year, HHWP indicated the Tuolumne River would see releases of 1100 cubic feet per second seven days per week, less every other Wednesday, from June through August—ideal flows for rafting. However, with multiple agencies vying for precious water supplies, an agreement for summer flows is still pending, with final word expected on May 1st. At this point, O.A.R.S. remains fairly optimistic the Tuolumne will have good summer flows this year.
In the northern part of the state, the Klamath River, which is also dam-controlled, will rely on relatively healthy upstream reservoir levels this year and is expected to have a normal rafting season for the duration of the summer.
Similarly, rafting on southern Oregon’s Rogue River will be unaffected by below average snowpack this year due to reservoir levels in Lost Creek Lake and Applegate Lake, which are listed at, or near normal levels. Outfitters on the Rogue are counting on exceptionally good rafting conditions this season as a result of plentiful rain.
In 2013—another dry year in terms of snowpack averages—O.A.R.S. saw record-setting numbers on many of these dam-controlled rivers mainly due to the reliability of scheduled releases. This year, rafters can again count on good water as they begin to nail down their summer vacation plans.
Brief Window Available for Rafting on California’s Free-Flowing Rivers
Meanwhile, rafting on California’s free-flowing rivers is not out of the question. Whitewater trips on the Kern, and Merced Rivers, which are dependent on seasonal runoff, will be available to rafters for a brief window of opportunity this spring despite snowpack averages across the Sierra Nevada that are well below normal.
In southern California, seasonal flows for rafting on the Upper Kern and Forks of the Kern are anticipated through early June, while the Lower Kern season is expected to go through early July. Further north outside of Yosemite National Park, the Merced River currently has boatable flows, which are expected to persist at least through the later part of May.
Individuals or groups interested in rafting the Kern or Merced Rivers should look to schedule a trip soon to take advantage of the best whitewater.